Attended this class? Sign in to participate.
"I want to know how to get started with Kanban or how to greatly improve the Kanban system I have now."
This 2-day Foundations-level Kanban training class, certified by Lean Kanban University, is for managers, developers, and anyone wanting to learn the fundamentals of the Kanban Method. The class includes the use of a Kanban simulation as well as exercises to design an actual Kanban system.
Course content and objectives
Attendees get to know the core concepts (principles, practices) of the Kanban method and experience them in a comprehensive simulation. Attendees also learn how to best start with Kanban or improve existing systems in their own organization with a proven and effective approach.
Day 1 - Knowing and Experiencing Kanban
- The Kanban method: Principles (Change and Service Delivery) and core practices
- Several hours of simulation (getKanban or Flowlab)
- Service orientationVisualization, pull systems, commitment points
- Replenishment and planning
- Delivery Basic metrics and charts
Day 2 - Implementing Kanban
Review of a case study and practical exercises for designing Kanban systems for attendees’ work systems applying STATIK (Systems Thinking Approach to Implementing Kanban):
- Understanding motivation for change
- Service definition
- Analyze demand and capabilities
- Model workflow
- Design a Kanban system
- Types of work
- Service classes
- Designing tickets and boards
- Identify sources of variability
- Identify options for system improvements
Positioning and Target Group
This courses is suited for those who want to acquire solid knowledge about the core of the Kanban method, and want to design or improve Kanban systems.
This particularly includes but is not limited to:
- Project and Program Manager
- Team leads, Managers
- Development leads
- Business Analysts, Scrum Product Owners, ScrumMasters
- Team Members
Prerequisites / required knowledge
- Knowledge of the Kanban method (principles, practices, basic concepts, metrics)
- Experience from working in and at Kanban systems gained in a multi-hours simulation
- Knowledge of the approach to design and implement
- Kanban systems (STATIK)Being able to design and improve basic Kanban systems
Format and duration
The course is a mix of presentation, simulation and exercises.The class curriculum is based on the work of David J. Anderson, pioneer of the Kanban Method, and author of the definitive book, Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for your Technology Business.
- A digital copy of the book Kanban by David J. Anderson
- Certificate of Completion of Lean Kanban University Certified Kanban Training, digital format
- Membership in Lean Kanban University and a listing in the LKU Alumni Directory
Note: Although it is not required to first attend Team Kanban Practitioner (TKP) as a pre-requisite to attending this class, it is highly recommended as fundamental concepts will only be briefly reviewed.
Please note that there is a class limit of 24 students. Also note that in order to make the course economically viable we need a minimum of 8 students, otherwise the class may be rescheduled.
Kanban Management Professional qualification
Successful completion of this course provides the attendee the Kanban System Design (aka KMP I) certificate of completion. To qualify for the Kanban Management Professional (KMP) designation, attendees will also require attending KMPII - Kanban Cadences.
Course Information Flyer
Cancellation Policy – Please Note:
Substitutions are accepted at any time. Cancellations must be notified by email and refunds will be provided according to the following:
- More than 14 days prior = 80% of course fee
- 7 to 14 days prior = 50% of course fee
- Less than 7 days = no refund provided
Kanbanese reserves the right to postpone or cancel this event if there are insufficient registrations or if presenters are unable to attend due to illness. If necessary, you will be notified no later than 7 days prior to the event and all registration payments will be refunded promptly. If circumstances require, presenters may be substituted for alternative qualified presenters with equivalent experience.
Please be advised that events can be subject to changes in date and/or venue due to acts out of our control such as bad weather, civil unrest, etc. It is recommended that you purchase changeable and refundable tickets. Kanbanese will not be responsible for incurred costs in the event that we need to make changes due to circumstances beyond our control.