This 2-day course is for managers, developers, and anyone wanting to learn the fundamentals of the Kanban Method®. This course, also known as Kanban Management Professional I (KMP I), is the first of two courses towards the Kanban Management Professional (KMP) credential. KMP I is the prerequisite to KMP II. By completing both KMP I and KMP II, participants can achieve the KMP credential with the Lean Kanban University®.
- 14 PDUs | 14 SEUs
- Lean Kanban University® (LKU) certificate
- Profile listing on the LKU alumni page
- 2 free books, newsletter subscription, and more
- Registered Education Provider with LKU and PMI
Who should attend?
This class is for those who take responsibility for improving delivery of products and services to customers of their professional service businesses. First and second line managers, project managers, product managers, experienced individual contributors and technical experts, Scrum Masters, business unit leaders, C-level executives, their improvement coaches and consultants.
Participants will learn how to design a Kanban system and initiate change with Kanban. They will learn the basic concepts of flow, pull, and collaborative improvement. At the end of the training, participants will understand:
- How to work with shifting priorities
- How to deal with interrupt work and multi-tasking
- How to deal with important but not time-critical work
- How to avoid having work pile up in one place (or time) while there is a lack of work in another place
- How to create flow in the work, the information to perform the work, and the teams that do the work
- Kanban in action
- Key elements of a Kanban system, such as commitment points, work item types, classes of service, explicit policies, cadences
- Kanban system mechanics, such as pull, replenishment, delivery
- Key Kanban system indicators, such as lead time and cumulative-flow diagram
- STATIK: the systems thinking approach to introducing Kanban
- Kanban case study
- Creating context for change
- Demand analysis
- Workflow visualization
- Discovering and designing classes of service
- Replenishment and delivery cadences
- Kanban system visualization
Attendees are expected to have read the Kanban book by David J Anderson or Kanban from the Inside by Mike Burrows. The Kanban ebook will be provided upon registration. Prior attendance at a Team Kanban Practitioner 1-day course is recommended but not required.
This course satisfies one requirement toward the Kanban Management Professional (KMP) designation. The KMP Foundations II: Kanban Management Professional class will complete the KMP status requirement.
All attendees receive a free electronic copy of either Kanban by David J. Anderson or Kanban from the Inside by Mike Burrows. In addition, you will receive a physical copy of 1 other book of your choice from our list of recommended reading. You will choose a book after successfully completing the course.